.widget { text-align: center; }

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Polka Dots & Pearls

It's official: Hell has frozen over. 

I'm wearing polka dots. 

After roughly 32 years of hating the little buggers I finally broke down and caved into the evil trend. Call it a moment of weakness, but what I realized is that it is actually part of a much bigger issue I seem to have.

You see, each January when I start to get the spring fashion mags in the mail and the damn bikinis start popping up in Target (January, people, really?!?), I immediately start hating everything I see. I don't know if it's because I dislike spring in general or if it has something to do with my brain still being shrouded in the fog of winter neutrals, but I always write off the new year of fashion trends without a second thought. Neon? Floral jeans? Chunky heels? Over my dead body!

Then, around September usually, I find myself drawn to the exact things I poo-pooed in the beginning of the year and sporting them like I magically discovered a long lost treasure. Don't get me wrong, I will NEVER come around to the aforementioned catastrophes, but this year I'm getting ahead of the curve and jumping on the polka dot bandwagon BEFORE it hits the "So Last Year" list.

 I've come to the conclusion that I am a little (ok, a lot) slow to figure this fashion thing out and it takes my brain a while to accept new things. This is coming from the girl who thought tucking jeans into boots made you look like a pirate and that bootcut was the only style of jeans on the planet. I've come to terms with it, though. I know I'm not alone and I actually think it helps to keep me away from those trends that you look back on and wish had died a little quicker death.  

I'm actually quite enjoying my new (mint!) polka dot sweater and looking forward to finding other ways to fit it into my wardrobe.

Blazer: The Limited (Similar)
Sweater: Old Navy (Shop)
Jeans: Banana Republic
Shoes: Steve Madden (Similar)
Pearls: Forever 21
Sunglasses: Ray Ban (Shop)

What trends are you avoiding this year? Remember, you never know!!

~ Sara

No comments :

Post a Comment