.widget { text-align: center; }

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Back to the Wine.Dine Part: Stax & A New Wine!


It was recently brought to my attention (thanks, $$!) that my the name of my blog is misleading. One hoping to find musings about food (or wine or love, for that matter) are at first drawn in by the name but then quickly disappointed by the one restaurant post and small handful of wine posts. True, they are rewarded with the adorable picture of Sheriff Rocky, but I was quickly made aware that I'm lacking in that department as well.

Well, my hungry friends - ask and you shall receive.  
 
It just so happens that I went on an epic tear, eating my through the Central Coast last weekend and could literally spend the entire night discussing the embarrassing amount of food I ate. Good thing for you, I won't. But I will  highlight one of my fav's which happens to include a mind-blowing new wine discovery.

 
 
Nestled under the towering - you guessed it! - stacks of Morro, sits this bustling wine bar that also serves up delicious and savory bites. Stax features a special of 5 tastings of pre-selected wines for $10 as well as an expansive list of wines by the glass and bottle and even beer and sake for the non-winos. A group of us girls all ordered the tasting and while the "skeleton crew" service left us with MORE than ample time to enjoy each small taste, we were happy with the company, good food and entertainment provided by our Nervous Nelly waiter. ;)





Cheese Plate, Meat Plate and Imported Olive Plate

In sticking with the "tasting" theme of the evening, we opted for (my favorite) shared plates of meats, cheeses and olives all served with the BEST crostini I've ever had. Warm, buttery, soft, grilled bread was the perfect base for everything served. The gouda and bleu cheeses were to die for. The meats were anything but boring and included aged chorizo and smoked duck breast. Even the olives were amazing! I felt like I was right back in Italy. :)

The wines that were poured were all very nice but the highlight was the closer :
Confectioner's Chocolate Red Wine


 
I've never met a "chocolate" wine that I could stand but this one had me at hello. It is the perfect blend of rich cocoa flavor, bright cherry and subdued sweetness. Obviously it's a sugar bomb, but not as much as you would expect. It screams romance and sexiness and really is quite fun to drink. Had we stayed for a bit longer I would have happily ordered a glass and considered my dessert taken care of. Alas, I did not, but I did the next best thing: I found where to buy it! And get this - it's less than $10 (or online using the link above). That's what I call a sweet deal (HA!).

The Central Coast is filled with nice little places like this so I highly recommend everyone make a visit. You might even find a surprising wine or two!

What wines have you found that you are surprised to like???

 
Last but not least, I leave you with a little Sheriff Rocky love!
 
 



~ Sara
 
 
 
 



No comments :

Post a Comment