.widget { text-align: center; }

Monday, February 25, 2013

Sunday Brunch Inspiration


Sunday was one of those days that was just perfect. Sunshine, decently warm weather and nothing at all important to do. Days like that, in my opinion, are meant for spending with friends, gossiping on sun-drenched patios over  cocktails and decadent, delicious food. And that's why God created brunch.

Brunch is by far my favorite meal for a million different reasons:
 
1) It's perfectly acceptable to drink at 11am. 
2) You can order a cinnamon roll and french fries and call it a meal. 
3)  You can roll out of bed, throw on stretchy pants and a pair of sunglasses, call it your "morning-after celebrity" look and you'll fit right in. 

So I declared Sunday a brunch day and decided to try out a fun Sac spot that I had seen on the Best Brunch list in SacTown Magazine: Roxy.

 

Unfortunately it was a TEENSY bit too cold to sit outside, but the interior decor made up for the lack of fresh air. Think cowhide & crystal chandeliers. Nice but not stuffy, with bustling, vibrant energy that wasn't loud and crazy. 

The menu was large for brunch and they even had 4 types of Bloody Marys and another handful of different mimosas. I'm on a mission to find the best Huevos Rancheros in the world, so if it's on the menu, I'm ordering it. Roxy's was very good: flour tortilla, over-easy eggs, spicy black beans and a TON of sauce. After looking at the picture of another person's HR on Yelp (below), I'm pretty sure they over-sauced mine (it was literally drowning in it), but it wasn't a show stopper. I loved the flavor and spice level and the sides of guacamole and sour cream kicked it up a notch. Still going to continue my mission, but it's worth a spot on my top 10 list.


Other dishes we had (I tried a little bit of everything) were the ancho-cheddar biscuits and gravy (again, drowning in gravy that my friend said tasted like enchilada sauce but I really liked) and the Breakfast Burger, which was literally a huge burger with a fried egg and bacon. Roxy is known for it's beef and I can see why, it was damn near perfection. 

The highlight of the meal was the donut holes with 3 dipping sauces. Holy hell, these are good. I'll be back for you, little buddies, oh yes.

The lowlight (surprising) was the Bloody Mary. I have a Bacon Mary, but there were no vegetables, too little bacon and too much horseradish - or as I like to call it, the devil's seed. Not horrible, but not Pour House's either.


 Overall I give the brunch experience a 7. I'd like to go back to try out happy hour because if there's one thing I love almost as much as brunch it's happy hour!


The other fun part of brunch, of course, is the outfit! I love to find laid back, funky outfits that you normally wouldn't wear, say, to a nice dinner or to work. I had this Pinterest inspiration picture in my mind for a while and thought it would be perfect for the occasion. 


 I was able to snap a shot of the actual outfit on my way out the door (still working on that tripod thing...), and I also did a Polyvore set to show the difference between the two. Normally I prefer the Polyvore pictures (I hate pictures of myself), but I think it's fun to recreate inspiration outfits and see how it compares in real life. This outfit was super fun to wear and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.






 What are your favorite brunch spots??

~ Sara

No comments :

Post a Comment