.widget { text-align: center; }

Friday, February 22, 2013

Red Carpet Ready?





Is anyone else excited about the Oscars this Sunday? I am and it has nothing to do with the actual awards. Usually I come into it having seen maybe one or two of the nominated movies, so I never really have dog in the fight. I also find the "humor" of the show too safe and the musical numbers dull if you want to know the truth.

What excites me is all of the hype and fun that surrounds the night. I am all about making an event out of anything even slightly meaningful (Boxing Day, anyone?) and the Oscars is a perfect example. Why NOT dress up, drink champagne and pretend you're a movie star on a random Sunday night? Exactly.

While I'm not actually going to a full-blown Oscars party this year (although a lot of you are and that's fabulous!), I will be attending a special Oscars-themed family dinner with the in-laws and it promises to be a good one. There are so many options for making the night special from red carpet dresses to lively cocktails to - my personal favorite - Oscar Bingo!

 First of all, the dresses. It's too late for this year, but if you're in the market for a true red carpet dress for next year's Oscar party or ANY event this year, check out this site: 


I haven't used it yet but have heard nothing but good things about it. Rent a designer dress for a fraction of the cost of buying one? It's genius! I have a slew of weddings (and one Vegas bachelorette event!) to attend this year and can't wait to try it out. Don't get me wrong, I will always love my $20 Forever Ho dresses that I pick up at the Vegas mall, but thinking about wearing a designer gown - if only for a night - makes me happy .


And it would be a CRIME to wear a beautiful dress without a glass of something bubbly in your hand, am I right? So I did some research and found this cocktail recipe that looks a-mazing. For those in the know about White Linen cocktails, you will LOVE this drink:




The Starlet

Ingredients

  • 4 mint leaves
  • 3/4-ounce good quality silver tequila
  • 1/2-ounce elderflower liqueur
  • 1/2-ounce simple syrup
  • 1/2-ounce lime juice
  • 3-ounces champagne or Prosecco
  • 1 slice star fruit

Directions:

  1. In a cocktail shaker, combine simple syrup, lime juice, and mint leaves.
  2. Use a muddler or a wooden spoon to muddle the mint leaves.
  3. Add tequila and elderflower liqueur and fill shaker with ice.
  4. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds; strain into a glass and top with champagne; garnish with star fruit.
The food for me is much less exciting than the pageantry, but nevertheless, I am pretty in love with the idea of a Popcorn Bar. I've seen it a million times on Pinterest and what better excuse to make it happen than the Oscars!?! The possibilities are easy and endless! Mix up a big batch (or a few small ones to keep it fresh), set out some melted butter with savory toppings (herbs, cheese, hot sauces) and sweet toppings (caramel, cinnamon & sugar, M&Ms, chocolate sauce) and you've got yourself a party!



Last but not least, an Oscars party would not be complete without an Oscar Ballot for everyone to fill out (which may or may not involve a little wagering) and an Oscar Bingo card. Trust me, the game is fun for everyone and makes the otherwise dull hours much more enjoyable to watch. It's not technically a drinking game but there's no rule against it. Just sayin'....


What are your plans for the Oscars? And more importantly, what will you be wearing??

~ Sara

No comments :

Post a Comment