.widget { text-align: center; }

Friday, May 17, 2013

Second Helpings of Third Thursday @ Thir13en


First: A Rant

Sacramento, what is wrong with you?

Last night was another fun, unique and indulgent event at one of the city's best restaurants and guess who wasn't there....you! And don't pretend like you had something better to do. You are the reason places like BJ's are packed to the gills while actual culinary gems are half full. I'm not writing this blog for my health, people. How about you start listening and taking me up on my offers to get you out of the deep fried prison of chain restaurants and into the light that is Sacramento's rather exciting dining scene.

Ok, I'm sorry, that was mean. But true. Don't hate me.

Where does this disdain come from, you ask? From the lackluster attendance of last night's Third Thursday at Thir13en. While the number of patrons was diminished at this month's dinner, the fun and overall vibrancy was not. Frankly, though, I'm surprised. Maybe it's because it's a weekday and people just want to get home after a long workday. I get that, I really do, but trust me that this dinner is a MUCH more effective (and fun!) way to wind down than a glass of Two Buck Chuck and reruns of The Big Bang Theory.

Do me - and yourself - a favor and plan on coming out to next month's event. You won't be disappointed. June 20th, if my math is correct.


Now: The Fun Stuff


Chef Adam Pechal pulled off yet another delicious and entertaining gastronomic adventure, this one taking us through the most delectable regions of Mexico. His choice of courses showed off his wide-ranging talents by touching on a large variety of ingredients.

Highlights
  • Fresh Handmade Tortilla Chips: Still warm and lightly showered with salt, these things were crazy good. Paired with a smoky, slightly spicy salsa, we had to make ourselves stop devouring them before we ruined our appetites.

  • Tlacoyos Chilangos: The bean-filled Tlacoyos (good luck pronouncing that!) were so flavorful and substantial that a pleasantly surprised carnivorous diner exclaimed that he "didn't even miss the meat!". The dish was fancied up with micro cilantro that kicked up the fresh flavor perfectly.

  • Pescado Entero: Had I translated this term before I arrived I would not have been so shocked to come face to face - literally - with an ginormous, intact fish. Right there, in the middle of the table, frozen perfectly in time as if he (he looked like a he to me) was posing for a snapshot, swimming atop a pond of picked onions and garnish. Deep fried with a perfectly crunchy crust and moist, flaky meat, this was both the oddest and best dish of the evening. You can only imagine the hijinks that ensued after this dish was mixed with a few cocktails. Eyeball, anyone?

  • Fortaleza Tequila Cocktails: The inspiration for the night's menu was based on this high-end, authentic tequila. We were given pamphlets that provided the history and details about the brand and the different types of tequila that were being showcased. I'm generally not a tequila person, but I have to say that I might be changing my mind after enjoying a loooong string of amazing concoctions that were made by the talented bartender of the night. I wish I had taken a pic of the drink menu, but I'm lame. I do remember there were 4 or 5 different cocktails, each using a unique blend of the various types of tequilas and other ingredients, including mezcal, thyme, and sweet limes. That night could have ended badly with all that tequila amazingness but I behaved myself, I promise.

As always, the service was first class and Chef Adam was on hand throughout the night to mingle and show everyone his obvious passion for what he does. We were lucky to be able to chat with him on our way out and he entertained us with stories of PBRs, Anthony Bourdain and his true opinion of food critics. We left trying to convince him that an Italian Third Thursday would be pretty awesome, to which he claimed he would "rock it!". Of course he will.....


1 comment :

  1. ouch so mean! I'd need a babysitter.
    Glad you can get out and chill. Maybe a girls dinner would be fun. :) lol

    ReplyDelete