.widget { text-align: center; }

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

When All Else Fails, Wear Micheal Kors

It's official, I have the WORST camera phone ever. I also have the worst hallway lighting ever, apparently, which is why I've decided that I need to move my photos outside at all costs.

If you can somehow get past the horrible photography, please read on.

I see a lot of "Inspiration Outfits" on fashion blogs, and I realized that that's pretty much the only method I've ever used to figure out how not to leave the house naked every day. I have no innate style whatsoever, but I do have a highly honed talent for imitating others. It started with being able to forge my mother's signature in third grade, then evolved into learning how to dance like a pro by watching Paula Abdul videos. I'm the first to admit that everything I've learned about fashion and not looking like a total dog has been stolen directly from my sister, copious magazine subscription and most recently, Pinterest.

So when I ran across this picture and knew I had all the pieces to recreate it,  I decided to use it as my very first "Inspiration Outfit". I love that it used a mint scarf, a piece I bought last summer but have worn only a few times. I was also interested in the black/brown combo, which is usually thought of as a fashion faux pas. I would never think to pair those two colors together on my own, but seeing this brave soul pull it off I figured, 'What the hell, why not?".







I'm not sure I pulled it off quite as well. My boots are TOO brown, I think. I did omit the belt on purpose as I thought it broke up the torso line and looked a little sloppy slung down there on her hips.

I can't say it's my favorite outfit, but I did learn a valuable lesson: Don't think that something will work for you just because someone else is wearing it - even if that person made it on Pinterest. I believe this is where true personal style comes into play. Always wear what you feel GOOD (or hot or sexy or powerful or cozy or whatever) in, not what other people tell you will make you feel that way.  Homegirl looks OK in this, but to me it felt a little BLAH. My saving grace was adding another of my precious MK watches and suddenly all was right with the world. Seriously, you could be wearing a burlap sack and a MK watch will make you feel like a million dollars. Write that down.
You're welcome.

Ciao 

 ~ Sara

1 comment :