.widget { text-align: center; }

Monday, June 3, 2013

A Little Taste of Italy!

In cooking, much like fashion, I take inspiration from others every chance I get. For the most part, I am a recipe devotee, rarely straying from the carefully printed instructions of others. I blame my left brain which is clearly the overbearing, attention whore side of my cranium. I find great satisfaction in "solving" a recipe, the same way a scholar solves a complex equation. 

Even simple, straightforward dishes like bruschetta just seem to make more sense when I I use a recipe as a guide. This one is very simple but beats most of the more complex, fancy ones for which restaurants charge way too money. I made it for an Italian-themed family dinner this past weekend and somehow even managed to make some free-wheeling modifications. Things are gettin' crazy!!

Shameful Disclaimer: This particular recipe originated from Avril Lavigne, of all people. However, since I discovered it after begging a friend for her secret, I'm going to pretend that she thought it up and stick with that. Thanks, Amber



1 loaf baguette, sliced in 1/2 in. pieces
Olive oil for drizzling
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, diced
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
10 large basil leaves, minced
juice of 1/2 lemon
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

Balsamic Reduction:
1 cup balsamic vinegar 

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bread on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes or until bread is golden brown.

2. In a small sauce pan, reduce vinegar over medium heat until reduced by half.

2. In a bowl, mix tomatoes, garlic, basil, lemon juice, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Top each piece of bread with about a tablespoon of the tomato mixture. Drizzle with balsamic reduction. Serve. 

So simple, so tasty and the perfect app for an outdoor party in 90 degree heat (trust me). 

Enjoy!




1 comment :

  1. Susan Larrouy LynchJune 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM

    Will verify...it was WONDERFUL!!

    ReplyDelete