.widget { text-align: center; }

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

This One's for the Winos...and the Hippies

In honor of World Malbec Day (which was actually April 17th but I just I found about it today, sue me), I am inspired to share not only a great Malbec, but also a really cool wine concept that helped me find this gem of a wine.

The backstory is a little unclear (which, now that I think about it, might have something to do with the wine). All I know is that my husband came home a few months ago with vouchers to something called Naked Wines. Imagine my intrigue. Next thing I knew, a little present popped up at my door a week later filled with really neat-looking bottles of wine from names I had never heard of. A tad skeptical, I stocked the wine away into one of our wine shelves/devices/closets and didn't think much about it. 

Fast forward a few months when I discovered what this seemingly ordinary box was and what it represented. 

Naked Wines is an organization that uses capital provided by adventurous wine drinkers to fund small, independent wine makers making wines exclusively for Naked Wine members. Confused? It's actually a brilliant idea in that grassroots, hippie kind-of-way that I relate to in the tiniest iota of liberalism (cringe) I must have lurking somewhere in the depths of my soul. 

Here's how it works: You sign up as an "Angel" and Naked Wines asks for $40 per month which goes into your account - and get this - you then use to buy wine! Told you it was brilliant. 

See, this money is invested into these small label ventures mainly so that they can produce truly great wine without having to spend most of their capital on advertising, sales and overhead like the big boys. In turn, the exclusive wines are sold to Naked Wines customers for wholesale prices, which are 40-60%  less than retail prices!  

There are so many things to love about this. For anyone truly into wine, I highly suggest you check it out.

We recently used up our banked "Angel" funds and now have more wine than we can possibly fit in our house.  I dove right in the new shipment and came across this Malbec. We bought 3 bottles of it and it didn't last many more days than that.


Mauricio Lorca
Angel's Reserve
2012 Malbec

Smooth, full bodied with an inky color and jammy finish. It's more mellow than a cab or a zin, but has cocoa or smoke notes that make it very interesting to drink. Love it!

So do this: head on over the Naked Wines, check it out, and if you like what you see, throw this $9.99 bottle in your cart and let me know what you think. 

~ Sara

No comments :

Post a Comment